Joy Nazzari from design consultancy dn&co has been in touch with news of some great new work they have recently completed for St James’s Market, established in 1664 as a formal square and buildings for a market fair that had taken place in St James’s since 1290. Lost with the development of Regency London, The Crown Estate saw the opportunity to re-establish St James’s Market as a new West End destination, with the redesign of two central London city blocks complete new offices, retail and collection of one-off concept restaurants set around a new public square. As Joy explains;
'Our placemaking brief was to re-establish this forgotten part of St James’s and in doing so redefine the area’s eastern boundary. Bridging traditional St James’s and youthful Soho, this new West End destination’s identity combines luxury materials and production values – copper detail fixings and deckle-edged dividers – with sleek typographic reinterpretation of the visual language of markets.'